BidSlammer Forum My BidSlammer Dashboard >>

BidSlammer Forums >> Help & Troubleshooting

missed snipe ?

Posted: Aug 13 2009 09:47 AM

Could you check on item 350237631628 and see why no bid was placed ?

Thanks !

Posted Aug 13 2009 09:47 am by Gu***st

pilotsimms,

We did place your bid, but didn't get a response back from eBay for 7 seconds (normal time is 2-4 seconds). Your bid was not accepted because the auction was ended by the time eBay responded to your bid. This is known as lag. Things have improved greatly with eBay and the Internet overall in the last couple of years so we don't see lag very often, but it still happens occasionally.

Posted Aug 14 2009 09:50 pm by Gu***st

Could you check on item 350237631628  and see why no bid was placed ?

Thanks !

Great - missed snipe for me too: ebay item #260463507316

Really very disappointed, the whole reason why I trialled bidslammer. Will try elsewhere now.

Posted Aug 25 2009 02:34 pm by Gu***st

If only the Internet were a perfect world... Lag effects every person that uses the Internet for any purpose. Most people don't give it a second thought when a web page as simple as Google takes several seconds to load, and yet at that moment in time lag is occuring. It is not a failure on the part of eBay or BidSlammer, it is simply a delay in the transfer of information from one web server to another - a traffic jam of sorts.

Every sniping service is affected by lag. In periods of extended lag, we adjust our snipe time to compensate for the delay. Fortunately, that hasn't happened for quite awhile. We also use multiple systems working together (located in different cities) to place duplicate bids, maximizing the chances for a successful snipe.

Posted Aug 25 2009 09:23 pm by Gu***st

If only the Internet were a perfect world... Lag effects every person that uses the Internet for any purpose. Most people don't give it a second thought when a web page as simple as Google takes several seconds to load, and yet at that moment in time lag is occuring. It is not a failure on the part of eBay or BidSlammer, it is simply a delay in the transfer of information from one web server to another - a traffic jam of sorts. 

Every sniping service is affected by lag. In periods of extended lag, we adjust our snipe time to compensate for the delay. Fortunately, that hasn't happened for quite awhile. We also use multiple systems working together (located in different cities) to place duplicate bids, maximizing the chances for a successful snipe.

Thanks for your swift feedback. Having a quick look thru the forum, there seems to be a number of issues with 'lag' - Ebay itself doesnt seem to suffer from it..? Would users of Bidslammer not rather their bid go in at 10s to go - decreasing the lag factor - on the understanding that there could be an outside chance of being pipped to the post? Do users have the ability to control the time prior to auction end their snipe goes in?

Posted Aug 26 2009 05:08 pm by Gu***st

Nick,

In our experience, allowing users to manually set the snipe time generally leads to more misses. Our data compiled over several years shows 5 seconds to be the optimal time for a successful snipe, so we stick with that number.

You can find more on this topic in our help section.

Posted Aug 26 2009 09:04 pm by Gu***st

Nick,

In our experience, allowing users to manually set the snipe time generally leads to more misses. Our data compiled over several years shows 5 seconds to be the optimal time for a successful snipe, so we stick with that number.

You can find more on this topic in our help section.

I've now used my three trials - and its acheived me nothing.... I would have missed out on my last item anyway, as my max was too low, but it would have been fair enough if bidslammer had actually placed my bid. Ref item No 170372939793 . Basically, if my max would have been high enough, I still wouldnt have won it as my bid would never have been placed!

At least if users can set the time manually, then users can proportion a certain level of blame to themselves should they miss an item.

Posted Aug 27 2009 02:00 am by Gu***st

Nick,

Your bid was placed. eBay returned the following message:

The following must be corrected before continuing: Enter GBP| 19.88 or more.

You did not meet the minimum bid increment, therefore your bid did not go through. You can find more information on bid increments in our help section [url="https://bidslammer.com/user/help/minimum_bid.php"]here[/url].

Posted Aug 27 2009 08:50 am by Gu***st

OK, thanks for checking. I checked the bid history on the auction listing and my bid was not shown - I was under the impression it would show all bids, even non-winners.. Not to worry. Feedback appreciated anyway. Regards, Nick

Posted Aug 27 2009 06:32 pm by Gu***st

Reply to this discussion

Sorry, only BidSlammer customers are allowed to post in the forum.   Join now

Join Now! Start winning items today.

© BidSlammer 2001-2020. All Rights Reserved.

Home | Help | FAQ | Screenshots | Blog | Contact Us
Collectors | BidSlammer API | Terms | Privacy | Site Map