BidSlammer Forum My BidSlammer Dashboard >>

BidSlammer Forums >> Help & Troubleshooting

is it no longer safe to use your service?

Posted: Oct 29 2009 11:33 AM

i do not understand why this happened. i want to continue to use your service, but it is VERY heartbreaking when i see this. it is one thing to lose because i did not bid high enough, but to lose and find out it went for way less that i bid, and my bid never got entered? upsetting to say the least! please be honest, what is the problem? thank you.

[size=3][u]Lost due to eBay lag. eBay took 15 seconds to process the bid. We executed snipe at 21:24:19, and the item ended at 23:24:27. [/u][/size]

Posted Oct 29 2009 11:33 am by Gu***st

Here are the exact details from the result of that snipe:

21:24:19 Snipe Executed

21:24:27 Auction Ended

21:24:34 eBay returned response "Auction has already ended."

The snipe was executed 8 seconds before the auction ended. With a normal response time of 3 seconds, your snipe would have landed at 5 seconds before the close of the auction, exactly as we intended. The trouble here is that a response was not received for a full 15 seconds - too late to win the item. The snipe was placed on time, but not acknowledged until after the auction had ended.

This is commonly known as lag, and unfortunately there is no fix for it. I should also mention that I checked the snipes before and after yours - response times were normal. It is unfortunate that it happened on an item that you really wanted but I can't offer a solution. Lag is a reality in every aspect of Internet usage.

Here is an analogy that may help understand the lag issue. Lets suppose that you decided to manually bid on that item instead of using our service. You get the bid amount set and 10 seconds before the auction ends you firmly click the submit button. Then.....nothing happens. You wait, and wait, and wait. Finally, 15 seconds later you get a response from eBay that the auction has already ended. Who do you blame? You know you clicked the button on time. Was it your Internet service provider? Some glitch in a regional router that controls Internet traffic? Maybe it was eBay's fault - did their servers have a hiccup? How do I prevent it from ever happening again?

The bad new is that there is no fix. The good news is that it happens only rarely. Overall Internet and eBay response times are much better than they were a few years ago. There is always some risk associated with sniping - it's just part of the game.

Posted Oct 29 2009 12:46 pm by Gu***st

Actually that is not a real delay, it is a bug with Daylight Savings time.

Daylight savings was today. From 12am to 2am there is a "limbo" and the way we get around this is to place the snipe twice. So one of the snipes just gave you this bogus error message. :blink:

Is this the same user that wrote in and said never mind, she forgot she placed the bid with a different Userid? :P

John's explanation is otherwise correct although you won't see real delays like that.

Posted Nov 01 2009 01:37 pm by Gu***st

Reply to this discussion

Sorry, only BidSlammer customers are allowed to post in the forum.   Join now

Join Now! Start winning items today.

© BidSlammer 2001-2020. All Rights Reserved.

Home | Help | FAQ | Screenshots | Blog | Contact Us
Collectors | BidSlammer API | Terms | Privacy | Site Map